Getting diagnosed

You will have some tests to diagnose vulval cancer, these can include a vulval examination and a biopsy.   

Seeing your GP

Find out what happens when you see your GP and how to get the most out of your appointment.

Referral to a specialist

There are guidelines for GPs to help them decide who needs to be referred to a vulval cancer specialist.


There is no national screening programme in the UK for vulval cancer. Find out more about this.


Your GP or specialist might do one or more of these tests to diagnose vulval cancer.

Last reviewed: 
08 Feb 2019
Coronavirus and cancer

We know it’s a worrying time for people with cancer, we have information to help.

Read our information about coronavirus and cancer