Getting diagnosed with soft tissue sarcomas

You usually start by seeing your GP. They will examine you and might refer you for tests or to a specialist. If the tests show that you have a cancer, you have more tests to find out how big it is and whether it has spread. This is called staging.

Seeing your GP

There are some things you can do to get the most out of your GP appointment if you have symptoms of a soft tissue sarcoma. 

Referral to a specialist for a soft tissue sarcoma

Your GP should arrange for you to have a test or to see a specialist if you have symptoms that could be due to a soft tissue sarcoma. 

Tests for soft tissue sarcoma

You might have one or more of the following tests to diagnose and stage soft tissue sarcoma, or to check how well your treatment is working.

Screening for soft tissue sarcomas

Screening aims to find a cancer early. No national screening is available for soft tissue sarcoma.

Last reviewed: 
23 Apr 2021
Next review due: 
23 Apr 2024
Coronavirus and cancer

We know it’s a worrying time for people with cancer, we have information to help.

Read our information about coronavirus and cancer