Counselling organisations

There are several organisations that provide counselling, as well as registration for counsellors and psychotherapists.

The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)

This organisation has a directory of qualified counsellors. The directory is updated each year. They can provide you with a list of counsellors in your area. You can search the directory online or phone them for information, or their directory may be available in your local library.

Phone: 01455 883300


National Counselling and Psychotherapy Society (NCPS)

The NCPS is the second largest professional body in the UK for counsellors with Accredited Register status. They provide a directory so you can search for counsellors in your area.

Counselling Directory

This website offers a directory of counsellors across the UK. It also has a number of sections about emotional disorders. 


Provides a confidential counselling service for any child with any problem. There is a helpline and a live chat service on their website.

Phone: 0800 1111 (24 hour freephone)


Relate offers private and confidential counselling, and psychosexual therapy to help with relationship problems. They provide counselling over the phone, through a webcam or face to face at a Relate centre. Clients are asked to contribute towards the cost of their counselling sessions according to their income.

Tavistock Centre for Couple Relationships

The Tavistock Centre for Couple Relationships provides relationship counselling and therapy to couples and individuals at their 2 centres in London face-to-face or online. Clients are asked to contribute towards the cost of their counselling sessions according to their income.

General Enquiries: 020 7380 1975 

UK Association for Humanistic Psychology Practitioners (UKAHPP)

This organisation provides accreditation and membership to humanistic counsellors and therapists. It has a directory of qualified counsellors and therapists. You can search the directory online using your postcode to find local counsellors. And you can filter your search to look for specific types of therapists or therapies. 

Phone: 08457 660326

UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP)

UKCP is an umbrella organisation which promotes the regulation of counsellors and therapists. Many of the largest and best-known organisations which train and accredit therapists are members of the UKCP. It maintains the National Register of Psychotherapists, which includes all practising counsellors and therapists who belong to its member organisations.

Their website has a 'find a counsellor' search. You can search by name, location or specialist area, which includes cancer.

Phone: 020 7014 9955 (general enquiries)
Contact Form 

Association for Family Therapy and Systemic Practice (AFT)

AFT is a registered charity working to promote effective family therapy and high professional training and practice standards. Family therapy is useful for children and adults of all ages who are experiencing a wide range of difficulties, including illness or grief. Qualified family therapists are registered with the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP).

The information for the organisations listed above were up to date at the time of writing of this page. Unfortunately, we can’t guarantee that this will stay so. Neither can we guarantee the quality of service you might receive from these organisations. If you’d like to give us feedback on the above organisations, please contact

Last reviewed: 
02 Nov 2022
Next review due: 
03 Nov 2025

Related links