Counselling organisations

Information about organisations that provide counselling and organisations that register counsellors.

The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)

This organisation produces a directory of qualified counsellors. The directory is updated each year. They can provide you with a list of counsellors in your area. You can search the directory online or phone them for information, or their directory may be available in your local library.

Phone: 01455 883300


The Cancer Counselling Trust

The Cancer Counselling Trust has now closed. Their website still gives details of other organisations that provide counselling services. It also lists cancer counsellors and where they are practicing. The website has useful articles about the emotional challenges of cancer.

Counselling Directory

This website offers a directory of counsellors across the UK. It is a free, confidential service which also contains a number of sections about  emotional disorders. 


Provides a confidential counselling service for any child with any problem. There is a helpline and a live chat service on their website.

Phone: 0800 1111 (24 hour freephone)

Cruse Bereavement Care

Cruse is a charity dedicated to providing support for people who have been bereaved. They offer support through their helplines and have a free counselling service. The address above is their head office. Their website has details of offices in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales.

Phone: 0808 808 1677

The Federation of Holistic Therapists (FHT)

The Federation of Holistic Therapists is the largest professional association for complementary therapists. They have a register of therapists who are qualified, insured, and who follow the FHT strict Code of Conduct and Professional Practice.

Phone: 023 8062 4350


Relate provide relationship counselling to couples and individuals throughout the UK. There is often a waiting list. Clients are asked to contribute towards the cost of their counselling sessions according to their income. They also provide counselling services by telephone or email.  You can ring them to find out about Relate's services and your nearest Relate Centre or Relate counsellor.

Tavistock Centre for Couple Relationships

The Tavistock Centre for Couple Relationships provides relationship counselling and therapy to couples and individuals at their 2 centres in London. There is often a waiting list. Clients are asked to contribute towards the cost of their counselling sessions according to their income.

Phone: 0207 380 1960

UK Association for Humanistic Psychology Practitioners (UKAHPP)

This organisation provides accreditation and membership to counsellors and therapists. It has a directory of qualified counsellors and therapists. You can search the directory online using your post code to find local counsellors. And you can filter your search to look for specific types of therapists or therapies. 

Phone: 0843 2895907

UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP)

UKCP is an umbrella organisation which promotes regulation of counsellors and therapists. Many of the largest and best known organisations which train and accredit therapists are members of the UKCP. It maintains the National Register of Psychotherapists, which includes all practising counsellors and therapists who belong to its member organisations.

Their website has a 'find a counsellor' search. You can search by name, location or specialist area, which includes cancer.

Phone: 020 7014 9955


Association for Family Therapy and Systemic Practice (AFT)

AFT is a registered charity working to promote effective family therapy and high standards of professional training and practice. Family therapy is useful for children and adults of all ages who are experiencing a wide range of difficulties, including illness or grief. Qualified family therapists are registered with the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP).

The AFT website provides details of registered family and systemic psychotherapists. 

Phone: 01925 444 414

Related links