Getting diagnosed with cervical cancer

You usually start by seeing your GP if you have symptoms that could be due to cervical cancer. They will ask you about your general health and may also examine you.

Your doctor will then decide whether to do tests or refer you to a specialist.

Seeing your GP when you have symptoms of cervical cancer

You should see your doctor if you notice a change that isn't normal for you. Or if you have any of the possible signs and symptoms of cancer.

Referral to a specialist

Your GP should refer you to a specialist if your symptoms could be due to cervical cancer. 

Cervical screening

The cervical screening test aims to pick up changes early that could develop into cervical cancer if left untreated.

Tests for cervical cancer

Your GP or specialist might arrange for you to have tests. This might include a physical examination, blood tests, a colposcopy, LLETZ or cone biopsy. You might also have an MRI, PET-CT or chest x-ray.

Last reviewed: 
05 Sep 2023
Next review due: 
05 Sep 2026
Coronavirus and cancer

We know it’s a worrying time for people with cancer, we have information to help.

Read our information about coronavirus and cancer